This cute little lady Bonnie came into see us when she lacerated her paw, she was seen by vet nurse Yvonne where she had a clean-up and her leg was dressed with a bandage. Bonnie was booked in for a re check the next day where the vet saw her and put her on a course of antibiotics to ward off any potential infection as well as some pain relief to keep her comfortable. Bonnie had several bandage changes throughout the next few days, but unfortunately the laceration was not heeling and she had to undergo surgery so we could stitch it up. Bonnie is now a week into recovery and the wound is healing well but she will still need to keep a dressing on until fully healed. Bonnie was nominated by all the staff because she is the sweetest patient and will just lie there and take everything in her stride. WE LOVE BONNIE!
Casper had been projectile vomiting for a couple of days when his owners brought him in to be seen. He’s known at home to be a scavenger so we were concerned that he may have ingested something. Casper was admitted for x-rays, ultrasound and blood work to try and determine the root of his problem. After all of the diagnostics were performed nothing obvious had appeared so Casper was placed on IV fluids supplemented with potassium as his bloods showed he had low levels due to his vomiting.
After a period with hardly any improvement it was decided he would undergo exploratory surgery to see if there were any potential obstructions causing his condition. The surgery found that Casper had a section of corn on the cob lodged in his intestine, this was removed and Casper was stitched back up. Apparently, the family had not eaten any corn for a couple of months!
Once Casper was fully recovered and we could ensure that he was eating and digesting well, he was able to go back home to his family.
Marmite presented with severe hair loss around the back of his neck which had slowly continued to get worse. On first inspection our thoughts were that it could be due to a seasonal allergy, reaction to medicine or stress. Marmite and his family had just recently moved house, so there were a lot of new factors to incorporate in the diagnostic process. We returned on a house visit to Marmite two weeks later as there had been no improvement. We then took skin scrapes from the affected area around his neck, and blood samples to be sent away for testing at an external laboratory. The results showed that Marmite has an allergy to Birch and Oak trees, some of which can be found in his new neighbouring garden. A specially made immunotherapy vaccination has now been ordered tailored to his allergens which be will be injected on a regular basis.
T-Bone was rushed into us when he was hit by a car and got his back got caught under a wheel. T-Bone was admitted on arrival after a check with the vet. You could even see the tyre track across his back! We placed an intravenous line into T-bone’s leg to make sure we could give him emergency drugs if necessary, we then took a blood sample to check if everything was OK internally. After we had the results of the blood test we then knew we were OK to safely sedate and x-ray T-bone’s pelvis and spine. He also had an ultrasound to make sure that his bladder had not ruptured from the impact. The results of the x-rays indicated that T-bones pelvis had been fractured. Fortunately, the broken bones had not moved much, so surgery was not indicated.
T-Bone was sent home with pain relief to take daily and the owners were instructed to keep him in a cage to enforce rest. He has since been in for a check-up and advised a further two weeks of cage rest with the view to being referred for physiotherapy or hydrotherapy treatment to help strengthen the muscles around the pelvis.